Saturday, November 10, 2012

Charity Never Faileth

True charity asks for nothing in return. It expects no gains nor wishes for exchange. It does not bargain or seek to profit from giving. True charity is out of the goodness of a heart who desires to do nothing but better the situation of another.  Anything contrary, or seeking return or personal gain could easily be referred to as blackmail...extortion even.  Call it what you will, but it is not true charity.

I am fascinated with words and their multiple meanings and definitions, and in all the definitions I have read of charity, none say, "for the gain of oneself," or "to profit from giving and expecting something in return."  There are those who believe being "charitable" means, "If I shovel my neighbor's snow today, maybe he will edge my grass in the spring."  One with such an attitude should think otherwise of their "charitable" actions.

Charity is all about intent. Intent to do good. Intent to better the situation of another leaving all selfish thoughts aside.  Intent to better one's own heart by giving without expectation of receiving.  Certainly, there is nothing wrong with these types of bartering or exchanges one may have of shoveling snow to receive grass edging, but do not consider this a charitable act, because true charity expects nothing. Nothing in return, not even a thank-you.

What do your thoughts when doing service say about your character?  Are you charitable? Or are you among the same group as even myself, who does not mind doing good for others, but always seems to consider (somewhere in the back of my mind maybe) the possibility of receiving something in the future?  Examine your heart. Examine your intent.  Do we expect things when we help others, or do we give freely, never looking back or considering what we could eventually prosper from giving?

Sometimes we give service only hoping to receive something in return.  What should we do? How should we think? How do we know what true charity is, and how do we give true charity?  The best answers I have found for such questions are in the following verses found in Moroni 7 in the Book of Mormon and they apply to all whether a Latter-Day Saint or not:


 45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him

(Bold and italicized portions added for emphasis)

I'm bothered by people with such attitudes of expectations. So why then, am I the same? Why do I follow the same patterns and similar expectations? It is hard enough to be humble and ask for another's help and true charity would never make someone feel as though the person giving feels entitled to something from them later. It would destroy the very definition of charity, and cause everyone to become completely independent and never rely upon others for help for fear they would be in debt to someone until they could even the score.

I will end with a simple example of someone who demonstrates pure charity in his life on a daily basis. I hope to someday possess this incredible quality he does, and hope that since this man is my husband, I will see firsthand how true charity changes not the receiver, but the giver.  I've never met someone more willing to do things for people. No matter the circumstance, no matter his busy schedule, or how many items he has on his place at once, he always has time for others. From simple to great things, he always seems to be giving. He never complains or mutters or mumbles. Just does it and never takes credit or recognition.  I look at him with admiration and think, "How could anyone be so generous?" And he laughs when I say that, because he thinks it isn't true. But I believe that's the point, those who are truly charitable, never realize that they are, because they do not seek to be recognized for it or expect gains or rewards.  He hates when I point out his charitable acts, brushing them aside as "normal activities."  Maybe being married to someone with the capability of true charity will help me develop the same trait and I hope to someday consider such daily charity as my husband does, "normal."


1 comment:

  1. Tawn, you write so beautifully! Wow. I feel the same about my husband and his family. The most charitable people I know, and I am one of the most selfish people I know! I also hope to truly become a charitable person through their example. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete